If this is the right time for you to pursue your Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree, Jefferson College of Health Science (JCHS) is the right place for you. JCHS offers a MSN degree in two specializations: Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) (starting Fall 2014) and Nursing Administration (NA).
With a small cohort of students, you get a personalized touch at JCHS; faculty care about you and your success. Both programs of study were planned for the working professional nurse. Courses are available online, with opportunities for in person interaction.
Click below to get more information about the two specialty tracks.
Master of Science in Nursing Programs:
The mission of the Department of Nursing is to prepare within a scholarly environment ethical, knowledgeable, competent and caring nurses who value professional development. The Department provides opportunities for those seeking nursing careers, lifelong learning and career enhancement. The Department assists in meeting the region's need for nurses by providing a variety of educational pathways.
We believe that excellence in education encompasses and promotes:
- Broad-based interdisciplinary learning;
- Diversity of person and thought;
- Personal and professional integrity;
- Commitment to life-long learning;
- Advancement of knowledge through scholarship;
- Holistic development of the individual;
- Participation in the local and global community.
Jefferson College of Health Sciences will be nationally recognized as an institution of choice for education in the healthcare professions.
The Master of Science in Nursing Program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) at One DuPont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, D.C. 20036. Phone 202-887-6791. In 2007, the MSN program was reaccredited for a 10-year period of time.
The Admission Counselor for the Department of Nursing is Sarah Boswell. You can reach Sarah at (540) 985-8309 or by e-mail at SRBoswell@jchs.edu. Alternatively, you can call 1-888-985-8483 and ask for the Admission’s Office.
To apply for the MSN program, applicants should provide the following to the Office of Admission. For specific requirements for the individual FNP and NA programs, see the links provided above:
- The completed Application for Admission – digitally signed online and submitted.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities in which you have enrolled.
- Three completed Graduate Recommendation Forms from individuals who are knowledgeable regarding your suitability for graduate work. Click on the links below to download a form.
- Graduate Recommendation Form (.pdf)
- Graduate Recommendation Form (.doc)
- A professional resume.
Official scores on the Miller’s Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The JCHS school code for the MAT is 2522 and for the GRE is 5099. The MAT is offered at the Roanoke Higher Education Center (www.education.edu). To schedule a test, please contact Carla James, Director of Academic and Student Services, at
(540) 767-6010. Information on the GRE can be found at http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register.
Once students graduate from the MSN program in the Nursing Administration specialty, they are eligible to take the American Nurse Credentialing Center certification examination as either a Board Certified Nurse Executive (NE–BC) or a Board Certified Nurse Executive Advanced (NEA-BC). The level depends on their experience as nurse managers or executives. Students who graduate from the Family Nurse Practitioner specialty are eligible to take the Family Nurse Practitioner certification from the American Nurses Credentialing Center or from the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.
Never let perceived lack of dollars deter you from seeking your MSN. Federal and Virginia state tuition assistance is available for eligible students. Most local healthcare organizations support attendance with tuition support. JCHS Financial Aid Office will assist students with information on methods of procuring student loans.
- JCHS Department of Nursing Address:
Department of Nursing
Jefferson College of Health Sciences
101 Elm Ave., SE
P.O. Box 13186
Roanoke, VA 24031-3186
1- 888-985-4785 (toll-free)
(540) 985-8208 (secretary)
- JCHS website: www.jchs.edu
- JCHS Catalog: available on the JCHS website. The Catalog contains both the undergraduate and graduate catalogs as well as course descriptions. Nursing courses have the prefix “NSG.”