Types of Grants

There are two main types of grants that benefits students attending the Jefferson College of Health Sciences. State and Federal Grant programs make up a large part of the funding students receive. More about each level of grant can be researched below:

Federal Grants

The two main Federal Grants awarded to students are the Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). Both of these Grants are made available through filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and are automatically awarded if a student is eligible. These awards are based off of the student's need and can vary greatly from student to student. For more information on both of these Grants, please visit the Federal Student Aid website at the following link:

State Grants

The main State Grant that is used at the Jefferson College of Health Sciences is the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG). This Grant is not need based, and is awarded based on the student domicile and grade level by the State Council for Higher Education of Virginia (SCHEV). Please be aware that VTAG awards are subject to change based on the State appropriations. You must apply for the Grant and it must be reviewed by Financial Aid Office staff before it can be awarded. If you have applied for VTAG before at Jefferson College and have received the grant, then you do not need to re-apply. You only need to notify the college if your state of residence has changed. There are several deadlines and it is best that a student apply as soon as possible to the institution that they are attending in order to receive the award. If you have any other questions about VTAG, pleaseĀ  ask the Financial Aid Office.