This course is intended for the individual looking to explore emergency services as an entry-level Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).
Eligibility to attend an Emergency Medical Technician course in Virginia requires that you must:
- Be proficient in reading, writing and speaking the English language.
- Be a minimum of 16 years of age at the beginning date of the certification course. If less than 18 years of age, you must provide the course coordinator with a completed parental permission form with the signature of a parent or guardian verifying approval for enrollment in the course. If you are less than 18 years of age and affiliated with an EMS or other Public Safety agency, you must also provide the Course Coordinator with documentation from an Officer of the agency stating you will be covered by the agencies insurance while attending the course.
- Have no physical or mental impairment that would render them unable to perform all practical skills required for that level of certification.
- Hold current certification in an Office of Emergency Medical Services approved cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course at the beginning of the EMT session course. We will have the American Heart Association for Healthcare Providers CPR class on the first day of class.
- Not have been convicted of or found guilty of any crime, offense or regulatory violation, or participated in any other prohibited conduct identified in state EMS regulations as follows:
- Have never been convicted or found guilty of any crime involving sexual misconduct where lack of affirmative consent by the victim is an element of the crime.
- Have never been convicted of a felony involving the sexual or physical abuse of children, the elderly or the infirm.
- Have never been convicted or found guilty of any crime (including abuse, neglect, theft from, or financial exploration) of a person entrusted to their care or protection in which the victim is a patient or is a resident of a health care facility.
- Have never been convicted or found guilty of any crime involving the use, possession, or distribution of illegal drugs except that the person is eligible for affiliation or enrollment five years after the date of final release if no additional crimes of this type have been committed during that time.
- Have never been convicted or found guilty of any other act that is a felony except that the felon is eligible for affiliation or enrollment five years after the date of final release if no additional felonies have been committed during that time.
- Are not currently under any disciplinary or enforcement action from another state EMS office or other recognized state or national healthcare provider licensing or certifying body. Personnel subject to these disciplinary or enforcement actions may be eligible for certification provided there have been no further disciplinary or enforcement actions for five years prior to application for certification in Virginia.
- Have never been subject to a permanent revocation of license or certification by another state EMS office or recognized state or national healthcare provider licensing or certifying body.
Class will start Thursday, January 19, 2017 and will run through Saturday, April 29, 2017
They will be on the following days: Tuesdays, Thursdays and four Saturdays
- Time for classes each weekday will be 1800 – 2200 hours
- Time for classes on Saturdays will be 0800 – 1700 hours
Students are required to be present a minimum of eighty five percent (85% of the didactic and practical aspects) of the course. However, failure to be present and successfully fulfill all skill and knowledge evaluations may prohibit a student from course completion.
Continuing Education Credit:
This course is eligible for continuing education credit for certified providers through the Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services.
An all-inclusive fee of $750 includes the following:
- Class Textbook
- FISDAP Skills tracker and examinations
- First Practical Testing Fee
- Background Check and Health Screening
- American Heart Association CPR for Healthcare Providers
Payment should be remitted to the following address:
Jefferson College of Health Sciences
101 Elm Avenue, SE
Roanoke, VA 24013
Phone (540) 985-8272 – you can call and pay with a debit/credit card
**If you have any questions concerning our spring 2017 EMT class, please contact Pamela Wells, Emergency Services Program Secretary at (540) 985-4030 or e-mail her at email@example.com.**