- To view the Bioethics Graduate Certificate Program Learning Objectives, click here.
- To view the Humanities and Social Sciences Program Student Learning Objectives, click here.
- To see the complete Humanities and Social Sciences section in the Jefferson College Catalog, click here.
About the Humanities and Social Sciences Program
The Humanities and Social Sciences Program continues to develop excellent academic programs while producing high quality scholarship related to healthcare in the humanities, social science, and bioethics.
We provide courses in philosophy, social science, literature, religion, and interdisciplinary studies. Our courses develop the skills of reading, writing, critical thinking, and speaking that are necessary for problem-solving, communicating effectively in the workplace, and interacting with people from all walks of life.
Download the Humanities and Social Sciences Newsletter by clicking here.
Download the Humanities and Social Sciences Program Cultural Showcase Schedule by clicking here.
Minor in Healthcare Humanities
The Humanities and Social Sciences Program at Jefferson College currently offers a minor in Healthcare Humanities. It consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours total, 12 of which must be earned at Jefferson.
Two required courses:
- HUM 201 The Experience of Illness
- PHL 215 Bioethics
In addition to the two required courses, students will complete at least 9 credit hours from any of the following 3 credit-hour classes:
- ENG 301 Women’s Studies in Literature and Culture
- SOC 340 Appalachian Health and Culture
- SOC 301 Race and Ethnicity in Healthcare
- HUM 308 Critical Thinking
- PHL 320 World Religions
- IDS 372/NSG 372 Spirituality in Healthcare
We are also excited to announce a new Graduate Certificate in Bioethics
The Graduate Certificate in Bioethics is offered jointly by JCHS and Radford University. All of the four courses in this 12 credit-hour program are hybrid courses, consisting of online delivery plus two required Saturday sessions on campus.
Requirements for the Certificate
- ETH 510: Advanced Bioethics
- ETH 520: Organizational Leadership in Bioethics
- ETHC 630: Emerging Trends in Bioethics
- ETHC 640: Cultural Perspectives in Bioethics