Frequently Asked Questions


General Questions

Is there someone I can talk to about what happened to me?
You have several on and off-campus options if you want to talk with someone about sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, cyberstalking, or harassment. The Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College of Health Sciences has trained advocates and counselors who can provide you with support, advocacy, information, accompaniment, and counseling. If you prefer to talk with someone outside of the university, you can call the The SARA Program for support, advocacy, information, accompaniment, and counseling if you have been sexually assaulted or TAP Women’s Resource Center if you are a victim of relationship violence. If you are in immediate danger, please call 911. 

How much will it cost me if I go to the hospital or talk to a counselor?
Many medical and support services are available to you free of charge. If you are concerned about medical costs and/or need financial assistance, contact the Student Affair’s Office at Jefferson College of Health Sciences. Don't let cost stop you from getting the support you need.

If I seek counseling or support from the Student Affairs Office, will the police be contacted?Services from the Student Affairs Office are confidential. Counselors will provide support whether a person chooses to report to the police or not. It is your choice to contact the police; if you do decide to contact the police, the Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College can help make that contact.

How will I get my work done? If you are concerned about academic assignments, papers, or exams you may need some assistance in getting some academic relief. Contact the Dean for Student Affairs (540-224-4693) or the Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College (540-985-8395).

Campus Locations
Where is the Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College located?
The Student Affairs Office is located on the 4th floor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital (CRCH).

Where is the Office of Judicial Affairs located?
The Judicial Affairs Office is located on the 4th floor of Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital (CRCH) in the Student Affairs Suite.

Where is the Carilion Police Department located?

The Carilion Police Department is located at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital on the 5th floor, North Pavilion. Carilion Police are on patrol for Carilion and Campus properties 24/7. For an emergency, call (540) 981-7911 or in-house 77911. 

Where is the Carilion Security Department located?

Carilion security officers can be found in the lobby of CRCH 24/7. The office for the Captain of Carilion Security is located on the 3rd floor of CRCH to the left of the main lobby security desk. 

Reporting an Incident What if I want someone to know this happened but I don't want to make an official report? In most cases, you can also talk with someone from the Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College of Health Sciences without making an official report to the police department or the Office of Judicial Affairs. The SARA Program provides confidential services through their 24 hour hotline. (540) 981-9352.

I might want to report my sexual assault to the police, but I’m not sure yet. Can I still have physical evidence collected (a PERK exam)?

Yes – as long as the assault happened within the last 72 hours, you can have the PERK exam done without making a police report. Keep in mind that the purpose of the PERK is to collect forensic evidence after a sexual assault; both Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital and Lewis Gale Medical Center have forensic nurses. A specially trained advocate from the Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College or The SARA Program of the Roanoke Valley can give you more information about the PERK exam. 

Who is going to find out? Will my parents find out?

All services are confidential. No one can share information about you with your parents, family, friends, or others outside of the college without your permission. All information about you is protected by federal law. Information is shared with others within the college on a need to know basis in order to provide you or others with appropriate services. Every effort will be made to work with you during the release of information. 

If I talk to someone at the The Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College, will it automatically go to Judicial Affairs or the police?

Talking with someone at the Student Affairs Office is a completely different process from talking with someone at Judicial Affairs or the police.  It is your choice whether or not to file a JR or make a police report. Someone at Student Affairs can talk with you about the college judicial process and answer your questions. 

What will happen if I go to the police?

Reporting an assault to the police is your choice. There is no requirement that you report the assault to the police. You may have mixed feelings about whether or not to report. You may feel torn about not wanting to do anything and wanting to hold this person responsible so that he or she does not hurt you or anyone else again. Going to the police can be intimidating. You have the option of having an advocate from the Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College or The SARA Program to go with you. 

If you choose to report to the police, an officer will want to sit with you and ask detailed questions about what, where, when, and how the incident occurred. Many of these questions may be hard to answer and may feel invasive. The police officer will be trying to get as much information so that he/she can thoroughly investigate the case. If the assault occurred within the past 72 hours you will also have the option of having a Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) exam done at the hospital. The police will also interview any other witnesses (this often includes the perpetrator). Once the police have investigated the case, they will present the evidence to the Commonwealth’s Attorney who will then decide if there is enough evidence to go to court. 

You have the right to change your mind at any point in the process. You may also have an advocate with you throughout the process.

Are same-sex partners eligible for Family Abuse protective orders?

Yes, with some restrictions. Family Abuse protective orders (see VA Code 16.1-279.1*) are available only against a “family or household member” as that term is defined in VA Code 16.1-228, which includes couples who have “cohabited” together within the past 12 months. The statute does not specifically define the word “cohabit,” but courts have generally interpreted it to apply to unmarried couples who live together in a romantic or intimate relationship. The law does not explicitly address whether same-sex couples are included in this term, but it does not explicitly exclude them either. 

In 2006, the Office of the Attorney General of Virginia issued an opinion that, while discussing related matters, assumed that a court could consider same-sex couples to be “cohabiting” for purposes of the family abuse definition. This implicitly overruled an earlier opinion by that office which had stated that same-sex couples could not “cohabit,” though without actually referring to the earlier opinion. The Supreme Court of Virginia then sent a memo to all of the judges in Virginia advising them of the new opinion. This probably means that same-sex couples who have lived together within the last twelve months are eligible for protective orders if there has been an act of family abuse.
Unfortunately, several victims of domestic violence who were in same-sex relationships with their abusers have reported that they were not able to obtain protective orders because of that relationship. Practice varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction on this issue. However, protective orders are an important tool for your safety, so you should still try to obtain one. If you are turned away, you should consult an attorney. You can also download the Attorney General opinion and Supreme Court memo in the Resources section of this website so that you can print them off and give them to the Judge
(Adapted from and the Virginia Tech Stop Abuse Program).

Alcohol and Other Drugs I was drinking when I was assaulted. Am I going to get into trouble with Judicial Affairs or the police if I report my sexual assault?

Roanoke police look to the "higher crime," which in this case would be the sexual assault. If you were violating a college alcohol policy or were drinking underage while you were assaulted, we encourage you to report the assault and be honest about your behavior. Giving the police and officials from the Office of Judicial Affairs all of the information, including information about drinking or drug use, can help them better understand what happened. These officials are going to be first and foremost concerned about your safety after an assault. If you have concerns, you can always talk with someone from the Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College or The SARA Program before talking with the police or Judicial Affairs.
What are the most common drugs used to facilitate sexual assaults?

The most common drug used to facilitate sexual assaults is alcohol (at least 90% of sexual assaults involved alcohol). Other common drugs are GHB, Rohypnol, and Ketamine. Over-the-counter and recreational drugs can also be used in sexual assaults. Keep in mind that whether these drugs were taken voluntarily or involuntarily, using drugs, including alcohol, to incapacitate someone in order to have sex with them is illegal. Even if you did not pass out or black out, it could still be possible that you were too intoxicated or incapacitated to give consent. You can always talk with someone from the Student Affairs Office at Jefferson College or The SARA Program regardless of whether or not what happened to you meets the legal criteria for rape or sexual assault.
Who do these drugs affect?

These drugs affect both men and women. Men can drug women; women can drug men; women can drug women; and men can drug men. These types of drugs are also used recreationally and can be taken voluntarily in order to get high.
How do I know if I was drugged?
While it is difficult to tell if you were drugged without specific medical testing, some common signs include:

  • Higher than normal level of intoxication for the amount of alcohol or drugs consumed. 
  • Waking up with no memory of the night before, waking up in strange surroundings with no memory of getting there.
  • Noticing signs of sexual activity with no memory of engaging in sexual activity.
  • Remembering someone engaging in sexual activity with you, but feeling paralyzed and unable to react in the moment.



If I think I was drugged, what should I do?
Go to the hospital and ask for a PERK exam and a drug test. Tell the forensic nurse you think you were drugged and ask them to test for GHB and Rohypnol in addition to the drugs they routinely test for. Keep in mind that tests for most drugs must be done within 10-72 hours. Every hour counts. If this time period has passed, it is not too late. Write down everything you can remember and consider reporting your suspicions to the police. If possible, find cups or glasses from which you drank and submit these to the police for testing. If you are unsure what to do, contact the Student Affairs Office or The SARA Program. 

  (Adapted from The SARA Program and The Virginia Tech Stop Abuse Program). 


Giving Support & The Bystander Approach

How can I help a friend who was assaulted?

  • Listen to your friend.
  • Believe your friend.
  • Keep their information private.
  • Offer resources to them (like the counseling at the Student Affairs Office or The SARA Program).

How can I help stop things like sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and cyberstalking from happening on campus?
As individual members of this community, we all have a great deal of power and can work together to create a campus environment that does not tolerate violence and abuse - this is being an active bystander. Individual actions can create some of the strongest and long lasting changes. Here are a few suggestions:

  • Get educated and educate others – learn about these forms of violence and how to support survivors. Take everyday moments to educate your friends and family.
  • Speak up – don’t let offensive, derogatory or abusive comments go unchallenged, particularly among your friends and classmates. Speak up about other forms of prejudice and discrimination – oppression feeds off of itself.
  • Listen to your own language – saying things like “you throw like a girl” or “that’s so gay” sends a message that those groups (in this case, women and people in the LGBT communities) are inferior.
  • Look out for your friends and fellow Jeffs – if you see someone who looks like they are in trouble, ask if they are okay. If you see a friend doing something potentially wrong or inappropriate, say something.
  • Get involved –Volunteer for a local rape crisis or domestic violence center. Volunteers are always needed and appreciated!

Other Bystander Intervention Strategies

  • “I” statements 
    Three parts: 1. State your feelings, 2. Name the behavior, 3. State how you want the person to respond. This focuses on your feelings rather than criticizing the other person. 
    Example: “I feel           when you               . Please don’t do that anymore.” 
  • Silent Stare  
    Remember, you don’t have to speak to communicate. 
     Sometimes a disapproving look can be far more powerful than words. 
  • Humor 
    Reduces the tension of an intervention and makes it easier for the person to hear you. 
     Do not undermine what you say with too much humor. Funny doesn’t mean unimportant. 
  • Group Intervention  
    There is safety and power in numbers. 
    Best used with someone who has a clear pattern of inappropriate behavior where many examples can be presented as evidence of his problem. 
  • Bring it Home 
    Prevents someone from distancing himself from the impact of his actions. 
    Example: “I hope no one ever talks about you like that.” 
    Prevents someone from dehumanizing his targets. 
    Example: What if someone said your girlfriend deserved to be raped or called your mother a whore?” 
  • We’re friends, right….? 
    Reframes the intervention as caring and non-critical. 
    Example: “Hey Chad… your friend I’ve gotta tell you that getting a girl drunk to have sex with her isn’t cool, and could get you in a lot of trouble. Don’t do it.” 
  • Distraction  
    Snaps someone out of their “sexist comfort zone.” 
    Example: Ask a man harassing a woman on the street for directions or the time. 
     Allows a potential target to move away and/or to have other friends intervene. 
    Example: Spill your drink on the person or interrupt and start a conversation with the person.

(Adapted from Men Can Stop Rape,, 2006 and The Virginia Tech Stop Abuse Program)

Filing a Judicial Referral

How do I make a referral?

To make a referral to Judicial Affairs, simply write or type a statement of the alleged incident, sign and date it and mail or deliver it to the Student Affairs Office or the Dean of Student Affairs. Be sure to include the name of the student you are charging (or as much of the name as you know and any other identifying information) on the referral.

What happens after I turn in the referral?

The Dean for Student Affairs or his/her designee will conduct an investigation. S/he will determine if the charges can be disposed of administratively by mutual consent of the parties involved on a basis acceptable to the Dean for Student Affairs or his/her designee. Such disposition shall be final and there shall be no subsequent proceedings. If the accused student(s) admits violating institutional rules, but sanctions are not agreed to, subsequent process, including a hearing if necessary, shall be limited to determining the appropriate sanction(s).   If the matter cannot be resolved at this stage, or if the alleged violations are serious enough to warrant suspension and/or expulsion from the College, the Dean for Student Affairs may, at his/her sole discretion, refer the matter to a Student Conduct Board for disposition.

What is the Student Conduct Board?

Student Conduct Board Proceedings:   The proceedings of a Student Conduct Board are the same for violations of the Academic Honor Code, JCHS Honor Pledge, or the Code for Student Conduct.  

  • All charges shall be presented to the Accused Student in written form. A time shall be set for a Student Conduct Board Hearing, not less than five nor more than fifteen calendar days after the student has been notified. Maximum time limits for scheduling of Student Conduct Board Hearings may be extended at the discretion of the Dean for Student Affairs or his/her designee.
  • Student Conduct Board Hearings normally shall be conducted in private.
  • The Board will be composed of members of the campus community chosen and so designated by the Dean for Student Affairs. The Dean may serve in this capacity as well, at her sole discretion, when a more formal procedure is necessary. Accused students may challenge members of the Board for cause in cases in which they feel that a conflict of interest exists. Such challenges will be entertained at the sole discretion of the Dean for Student Affairs.  
  • The Complainant, Accused Student and their advisors, if any, shall be allowed to attend the entire portion of the Student Conduct Board Hearing at which all information is received (excluding deliberations). Admission of any other person to the Student Conduct Board Hearing shall be at the discretion of the Board and/or the Dean for Student Affairs or his/her designee.
  • In Student Conduct Board Hearings involving more than one Accused Student, the Dean for Student Affairs or her designee, at his or her discretion, may permit the Board Hearings concerning each student to be conducted either separately or jointly.
  • The Complainant and the Accused Student have the right to be assisted by an advisor of their choosing. The advisor must be a member of the College community and may not be an attorney or the student’s parent or guardian. The Complainant and/or the Accused Student is responsible for presenting his or her own information and therefore advisors are not permitted to speak or to participate directly in any proceeding before a Student Conduct Board. A student should select as an advisor a person whose schedule allows attendance at the scheduled date and time for the Board Hearing because delays will not normally be allowed due to the scheduling conflicts of an advisor.
  • The Complainant, the Accused Student and the Student Conduct Board may arrange for witnesses to present pertinent information to the Board.
  • The College will try to arrange the attendance of possible witnesses who are members of the College community, if reasonably possible and who are identified by the Complainant and/or Accused Student at least two weekdays prior to the Student Conduct Board Hearing. Witnesses will provide information to and answer questions from Board members.
  • Questions may be suggested by the Accused Student and/or Complainant to be answered by each other or by other witnesses. This will be conducted by the Student Conduct Board with such questions directed to the chairperson, rather than to the witness directly. This method is used to preserve the educational tone of the hearing and to avoid creation of an adversarial environment. Questions of whether potential information will be received shall be resolved at the discretion of the chairperson of the Student Conduct Board or the Dean for Student Affairs.
  • Pertinent records, exhibits and written statements may be accepted as information for consideration by a Student Conduct Board at the discretion of the chairperson.
  • All procedural questions are subject to the final decision of the chairperson of the Student Conduct Board.
  • After all pertinent information has been received, the Student Conduct Board shall determine (by majority vote if the Board consists of more than one person) whether the Accused Student has violated each section of the Code for Student Conduct which the student is charged with violating.
  • The student Conduct Board’s determination shall be made on the basis of whether it is more likely than not that the Accused Student violated the Code for Student Conduct.
  • Formal rules of process, procedure and/or technical rules of evidence, such as are applied in criminal or civil court, are not used in Student Conduct Board proceedings.
  • There shall be a single record, such as notes taken by a designated recorder or a tape recording, of all hearings before a Student Conduct Board (not including deliberations). Deliberations shall not be recorded. The record shall be the property of the College.
  • If an Accused Student, with notice, does not appear before a Student Conduct Board Hearing, the information in support of the charges shall be presented and considered even if the Accused Student is not present.
  • The Student Conduct Board may accommodate concerns for the personal safety, well-being and/or fears of confrontation of the Complainant, Accused Student and/or other witnesses during the hearing by providing separate facilities, by using a visual screen and/or by permitting participation by telephone, videophone, closed circuit television, video conferencing, videotape, audio tape, written statement, or other means, where and as determined in the sole judgment of the Dean for Student Affairs to be appropriate.
  • The Board’s decision shall be communicated in writing to the Accused Student within two (2) business days of the hearing.

For further questions regarding judicial hearings and the Student Conduct Board, please contact the Student Affairs Office at (540) 985-8395 or visit

VOICE Resources