Federal Work-Study

The work study application can be accessed through the Carilion Clinic website here. Look for "Student Temporary."

Federal Work Study Checklist

Below are the steps towards obtaining a Work Study position through the Jefferson College of Health Sciences. Work Study is made up of two possible locations and two possible funding sources. Work Study positions can be either on or off campus, and can be made up of either Federal Work Study or Campus Work Study funds (the former is funded by the Federal government; the latter is funded by the institution). Regardless of location or funding source, the follow steps should be taken to obtain a position.  

Step 1: Fill out the FAFSA

  • Eligibility for the Federal Work Study program is determined by the results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Step 2: Apply for a position through the Carilion Clinic Human Resources website

  • Before you can interview for a position you must fill out an application online. There is only one listing on the HR website for a Work Study position, which applies to all works study positions at the college. Click here for a link to the Carilion Clinic careers page. Click the link that says "Search our Online Database." Then search for jobs at Jefferson College of Health Sciences. The "STUDENT TEMPORARY" position is for work study applicants.

Step 3: Contact department heads for interviews

  • It is the responsibility of the student to contact the department for which they would like to work and set up an interview. Please note that an interview is not guaranteed.  Click here for a list of the department heads.

Step 4: Interview and accept a position

  • Once the student interviews and is offered a position, then HR can begin processing the appropriate paperwork.

Step 5: Fill out the appropriate HR paperwork and complete the Employee screening process

  • Once you have accepted a position you will need to fill out the HR paperwork and have it processed immediately. This process can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks depending on the time of year and volume of applications. 

Note: Please keep in mind that you cannot begin working until you meet with the HR representative and complete your paperwork.  At that time, you will be told when you can begin working and how many hours you are eligible to work.   If you have any questions about the Work Study program at Jefferson College please contact the HR Representative for Work Study, Kathy York, for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions About Work-Study

Since I have federal work-study, will I be guaranteed a campus job?
The Office of Financial Aid does not make job assignments.  The student is responsible to find a student worker position.  A list of the Departments of Hire is available in the Office of Financial Aid.  Students may contact the Department Supervisors as shown on the list and pursue potential job opportunities and request an interview. Click here for a list of the department heads.

I've been awarded federal work-study; am I required to work on campus?  Will I owe more money to the college if I don't work?
You are not required to work on campus or complete a certain number of work-study hours.  If you do work on campus, you will earn a paycheck to compensate you for any hours worked, just as you would any other job.  You may use your income toward your educational expenses, at your discretion, including toward miscellaneous expenses.  Students are not required to use their work-study earnings for tuition.  The balance you owe to the college is not affected by your employment. 

Are there work-study jobs available off campus?
Yes, there are limited opportunities for students to work in community service positions at off-campus sites.  Additional information can be obtained by contacting Kathy York.

What is the difference between work-study and non-work study jobs?
Work-study wages are excluded from your income when you file the FAFSA.  These earnings are excluded from your income because they are used to help cover educational expenses as they were earned.

How much will I earn?
The department that you are working for will determine the number of hours you work per week.  Your earnings are based upon the number of hours you work per week.  The current pay range is $7.25 to $7.50 per hour. 

How and when will I get paid?
Work-study students are required to sign in electronically using Kronos (a payroll time management system).  Your hours worked must be in the Administrative Assistant's Office each Monday morning by 8:30 a.m.  In order for the payroll office to process your time worked and meet the payroll deadline, all hours worked must be submitted in a timely manner.  Student payroll checks are available in the administrative office bi-weekly.