The financial aid process, while a necessity for most, can be daunting. Our Financial Aid office is here to help.

Location: 4th Floor of the Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital
Address: 101 Elm Avenue, SE, Roanoke, VA 24013
Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Phone: (540) 985-8267  Fax: (540) 224-6916

A few key deadlines:

March 1 -  FAFSA Priority Deadline
April 23, for graduating High School seniors and June 1, for all other applicants - Jefferson College Institutional Scholarship Deadline.
July 1 - Financial Aid file must be complete
July 31 - VTAG Application Category 2 Deadline (click here for an application)
August 1st - September 14 - VTAG Application Category 3 Deadline (click here for an application)
September 15 - December 1 - VTAG Application Category 4 Deadline (click here for an application)

Content Title
Federal Loans Overview
Text content

Jefferson College of Health Sciences participates in the Federal Direct Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized student loans), Federal Parent PLUS Direct Loan, and Federal Grad PLUS Direct Loan programs. Students and parents will be required to use the Direct Loan program for all federal student and parent loans. The traditional Federal Family Educational Loan Program (FFELP) loans (i.e., Stafford Loan, Parent PLUS Loan, and Grad PLUS Loan) through banks, credit unions, and other student loan lending companies will no longer be processed at Jefferson College, as we will stop doing business with these lenders and join the Federal Direct Loan program. Under this program, students borrow from the federal government.   

The Direct Loan program has been in existence since the early 1990's. As a result of many legislative changes over the past few years, as well as recent economic issues, FFELP loans are often more costly to borrowers than Direct Loans. Additionally, many FFELP loans are being sold by lenders to the federal government. Jefferson College is making this change to assist students with identifying and obtaining resources to finance their education.   

Federal Direct Loan

Low-interest loans, must be at least half-time, repayment begins 6 months after graduation, withdrawal or falling below half-time, government pays interest while student is enrolled in school, not based on credit history. Interest will accrue when you enter repayment or a period of forbearance.  

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

Low-interest loans, must be at least half time, repayment begins 6 months after graduation, withdrawal or falling below half time, and interest is the responsibility of the student, not based on credit history. You will be charged interest from the day the loan is disbursed until it's paid in full, including in school, grace, and deferment and forbearance periods.  

Federal Direct Plus or Graduate Plus Loan

Low-interest loans for parents of dependent students or graduate students, must be at least half-time, repayment begins 30-45 days after last payment is released or credited to student account. The Parent Plus or Graduate Loan is approved or denied based on the borrower’s credit history. The yearly limit on a PLUS loan is equal to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid you receive. If the borrower is denied the loan, the dependent student is allowed to request additional unsubsidized loan funds. Interest is charged on the loan from the date the first disbursement is made until the loan is paid in full.

How to Apply
Text content

Here are the basic steps to apply for financial aid:

Step 1: Obtain your Federal Student Aid ID (FSAID) at and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at The Jefferson College of Health Sciences’ federal school code for the FAFSA is 009893.

Step 2: Review and apply for Federal Direct Loans as needed. There are several types of student loans made available by the Department of Education Direct Lending program. To begin the process, visit and complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling. Jefferson College's federal school code for Direct Loans is 00662200.

Step 3: Apply for additional sources of Financial Aid and scholarship support, as well as a Federal Work Study program.

Step 4: Complete any outstanding requirements for your Financial Aid package. Check your email or self-service account for information regarding additional requirements for your Financial Aid. Some students must provide additional information for the FAFSA Verification process, VTAG applications, or to resolve issues with the student’s FAFSA. You will be contacted by the Financial Aid Office if any of these apply to you.

Please remember:

If you are not going to use Federal Student Aid (Federal Grants, Federal Student Loans, and/or Federal Student Employment) please notify the Financial Aid Office and they will waive the respective requirements.

If you are receiving Veterans Education Benefits, please contact the Financial Aid Office to fill out the appropriate paperwork.

If you want anyone else to be able to see or talk about your Financial Aid information with the Financial Aid Office (e.g. parent(s), spouse, etc.), you must fill out a Permission to Release Information form.

You will receive an Award Letter via mail or email that details the specifics of your Financial Aid package (i.e. award amounts of loans, grants, and scholarships you can receive for that semester or school year).

Financial Aid FAQs
Text content

Q. How do I complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid  (FAFSA)?

A. To complete the application online is a 3-step process:

  1. Create an FSA ID at
  2. Complete the electronic FAFSA at and review your answers carefully.
  3. When you receive the results of your application, the Student Aid Report (SAR), review it for accuracy. Provide any needed information requested by the school as quickly as possible.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is your doorway to all forms of Federal Aid. The income, assets, and household information you report on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used in a formula developed by the U.S. Congress to determine your eligibility for Federal Student Aid. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount of resources you should have to contribute toward your education, based on the information from your FAFSA application.

Q. What Federal financial aid programs are available to me at Jefferson College of Health Sciences?

A. Jefferson College of Health Sciences currently participates in the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS) and William D. Ford Direct Loan program. Detailed information about each of these programs can be found on the U. S. Department of Education's website.

Q. What state and local aid programs, school aid programs and other private aid programs are available?

A. The main state aid program available to students at Jefferson College is the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant Program (TAGP). Recipients of state aid must be residents of Virginia. The TAG application deadline is July 31 of each year. Prior VTAG recipients at Jefferson College do not need to reapply each year. A student must be enrolled full time (12 credits) in a degree program to receive TAG. A student is allowed 12 units for an associate's degree, 24 units for a bachelor's degree, and no more than 3 years for a post-graduate program. Each full or partial payment is considered 3 units.

There are additional opportunities for outside scholarships which the Office of Financial Aid can help you with. Find more in the Scholarships section of the website.

Q. How do I apply for assistance and what standards does Jefferson College use to determine my eligibility?

A. To apply for financial assistance you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. (FAFSA). The FAFSA data can be submitted via the Internet, paper mail, or by phone at 1-800-433-3243. The central processor calculates the student's eligibility and issues the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. This number is used in accordance with federal regulations to determine your aid package. All students, who are enrolled in an approved program of study at Jefferson College who apply for aid, and are not otherwise ineligible, will receive a financial aid award.

Q. How does the school distribute aid among students?

A. All eligible students receive Pell Grant and federal loan aid in the amounts dictated by program regulations. Campus-based aid, namely FSEOG and FWS aid, is awarded by Financial Aid Representatives in accordance with the school's awarding philosophies. The philosophies are detailed in the student handbook and college catalog. FWS is awarded based on eligibility, student interest, and availability of work. VTAG is awarded by initial application or domicile review.

Q. What are the rights and responsibilities of students who receive financial assistance?

A. As a recipient of Title IV federal financial aid, you have certain rights and responsibilities. Your rights include the right to certain information about the type, amount and terms of your aid award. Your responsibilities include keeping your lender informed of changes in your name or address, repayment of any student loan amount, etc. More information can be found on the U. S. Department of Education's website.

Q. How and when will financial aid be disbursed?

A. After the census date of each semester, any aid awarded is credited to the student's account. The frequency and amount of each disbursement is specified in your award letter. Once the student's account is credited, any credit balance that exists on a student's account will be delivered to the student by check once all institutional charges are paid.

Q. What are the terms and conditions of any employment that might be a part of my financial aid package?

A. The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides funds to employ students with a demonstrated financial need. Students are paid an hourly rate at least equal to the federal minimum wage. Applications for Work-Study should be completed via the Jefferson College website. To be eligible for Work-Study a student must have a complete financial aid file, be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen, and be registered to attend classes. A student must also complete the employment screening process before beginning to work.

Q. Can I consolidate my loans?

A. Yes. The Direct Loan program allows borrowers to consolidate all of their Federal student loans in one loan. There is no minimum or maximum amount required for consolidation and consolidated loans do not increase a student's aggregate loan limit. The interest rate on consolidated loans is variable and there are no loan fees.

Q. What criteria are used for determining whether a student is maintaining satisfactory academic progress, how does such criteria affect my aid and how can a student who has failed to maintain progress re-establish eligibility for federal financial aid?

A. Jefferson College of Health Sciences has a Satisfactory Progress Policy that spells out what is required of a student in order to continue to receive Title IV Federal aid. The policy is published in the college catalog and on the Jefferson College website. A student must maintain satisfactory progress in order to continue to receive financial aid. A student who fails to maintain satisfactory progress will lose eligibility for federal aid. In order to re-establish eligibility, he/she must either win an appeal or re-establish satisfactory progress academically.

Further details can be found in the college catalog. In summary, students must maintain satisfactory progress toward completing their educational programs. This means they must not only get good grades, but also complete their programs within specified time limits. Questions regarding the specifics of the policy should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.

Q. What are the names of association, agencies or governmental bodies that accredit, approve or license the College and its programs? What are the procedures for students to review the schools, accreditation, licensure or approval?

A. A complete list of associations, agencies and governmental bodies that accredit, approve or license the College and its programs is published in the college catalog, the college handbook and the administrative office.

Q. What is the College's policy on refunds, should I have to withdraw from school? How are those refunds distributed between the student financial aid programs?

A. If you should have to withdraw from school the refund is returned to the Title IV financial aid programs based on the period of attendance. Any refund amount allocated to Title IV aid will be returned in the order specified by current Title IV regulations. Money is refunded to the student only when all funds have been repaid to the Title IV programs, as well as to any other aid source.

Q. How does the college's standard of conduct apply to financial aid?

A. Students are reminded that the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988 provides for the permanent loss of Title IV aid eligibility due to a conviction of engaging "in the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of a controlled substance". In addition, the act, as amended in 1998, may prohibit any applicant or student from receiving federal financial aid who has been convicted of a drug-related felony.

Q. With the Direct Loan program who will I make repayment to?

A. Payments are made to the U.S. Department of Education. Students do not have to start repayment until six months after they graduate or fall below half-time status. However, you can make payments at any time towards your loan. The U.S. Department of Education pays interest on subsidized loans while the borrower is in school. The borrower is responsible for the interest that accrues on unsubsidized Direct Loans.

You must begin repayment on a loan 6 months after you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time status. On an unsubsidized loan you don't have to pay any principal while in deferment, but you will be charged interest. You can pay the interest or it will be capitalized (i.e., added to the principal loan balance) later.

Q. What steps do I need to take in order to get a Direct Loan?

  • All students must complete the FAFSA (this must also be completed for Parent PLUS Direct Loans),  Additional information may be requested, depending on the results of your FAFSA.
  • All students must meet the general eligibility requirements: Be enrolled at least Half-Time to receive Financial Aid. Be enrolled in a Degree Program. Be a Citizen or Non-Eligible Citizen. May not exceed the Aggregate Loan Limit. Not in default or in an Overpayment Status for any Federal Aid Program. Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards
  • Instructions regarding and how to complete of Entrance Loan Counseling and the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note will be mailed.

Q. I have prior loans from a bank, what options do I have in repayment now that I will have FFELP Loans and Direct Loans?

A. Federal Student Direct loans can be consolidated along with outstanding student loan debt from FFELP (i.e., Stafford Loans). However, if you do not want to consolidate your FFELP and Direct Loans, you will have to make separate payments to the different loan servicers.


Private Student Loans

Private Student Loans (also called "Alternative Loans") are funds available to students who are not eligible for financial aid or who may need additional funds to meet education expenses. The maximum amount a student is eligible to receive is determined by the cost of attendance minus financial aid. Students are responsible for finding which company they want to obtain a Private Loan through. These companies vary from Banks to Credit Unions to various Student Loan Servicers. Always remember to be a smart consumer. Private Student Loans should be a last resort to obtain funding for school. It is important to keep borrowing within reasonable bounds. Never borrow more than you believe you will be able to repay.

What is a private student loan? Alternative loans are funds available to students who are not eligible for financial aid or who need additional funds to meet educational expenses. The student’s eligibility is determined by the cost of attendance minus financial aid.

Who needs a private student loan? Alternative loans are not for everyone. They are expensive and should only be borrowed when all other resources have been exhausted (such as Stafford or PLUS loans).

For example, a freshman dependent student can borrow up to $5,500 under the Stafford Loan Program. If this student is not eligible for grants or other aid, and cannot make up the difference through working, there may not be funds available to cover their charges for registration fees, books, and housing. If no other resources are available, this student may want to consider an alternative loan.

When dealing with private student loans, here are a few key questions to ask:

  • What is the interest rate and what is it based upon?
  • When does repayment begin?
  • Can the principle and interest be deferred?
  • How much is the loan origination fee?

How do I obtain a Private Student Loan? There are two steps:

  • Research and apply for a Private Student Loan through a private Lender.
  • Complete a  PRIVATELOANSELF-CERTIFICATIONFORM.doc and send it to the Financial Aid Office at Jefferson College.

The Private Student Loan cannot be applied to your student account until both of the steps above are completed. If you have any questions, contact the Financial Aid Office at

Forms & Work Study Program Info
Text content

Loan Forms

Federal PLUS Loan Request Form

Click here to download the Federal Plus Loan Request Forms.

Private Loan Self-Certification

Click here to download the Private Loan Self-Certification.

Direct Lending/FFLEP In-School Deferment Request Form

Click below to download a .pdf version of the Direct Lending In-School Deferment Request form.

Verification Forms

Verification is a process in which selected students verify the information on their FAFSA. Students selected for Verification should submit the requested documents to the Office of Financial Aid. You can see your requested documents on your Self-Service account, which you can access through Student Resources. If you are selected but you choose not to complete Verification, you will not receive federal aid (e.g. Pell Grant, Direct Loans, etc.). If you have questions about Verification, please contact your Financial Aid Counselor at

Federal Student Aid Programs Verification Worksheets

Click on the links below to download Federal Student Aid Programs Verification Worksheets based on whether you are claimed as a dependent or are considered independent.

Federal Student Aid Programs Verification Forms

Click on the links below to download the various forms that pertain to your verification group (if applicable):

IRS Tax Transcript Request Process

4506T-EZ For Tax Transcript Only

4506T For Account Transcript

VTAG Application

Two-Year College Transfer Grant

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form

For Fall 2018, Spring 2019, and Summer 2019, use the following SAP Appeal Form:

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Click here to learn more about the Academic Progress Policy.

Permission to Release Information

  • In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), Jefferson College of Health Sciences will not release your financial aid information to anyone other than you unless you give us permission to do so. If you want someone like a relative or a friend to have access to your financial aid information, whether by phone, email, or in person, please complete a Permission to Release Information Form in your Self-Service Account, which can be accessed through Student Resources.

    NOTE: You are not required to complete the Permission to Release Information Form. Completing the form is your choice.

Student Consumer Information

Please review the Student Consumer Information.

Students' Rights and Responsibilities

This document details every student's rights and responsibilities concerning Financial Aid.

Code of Conduct for Financial Aid Professionals

Click below to download the Code of Conduct for JCHS Financial Aid Professionals.

Work Study Information

    Work Study positions are available to students either on or off campus, and can be made up of either Federal Work Study or Campus Work Study funds (the former is funded by the Federal government; the latter is funded by the institution).

    Step 1: Fill out the FAFSA

    Eligibility for the Federal Work Study program is determined by the results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    Step 2: Apply for a position through the Carilion Clinic Human Resources website.

    Before you can interview for a position you must fill out an application online. There is only one listing on the HR website for a Work Study position, which applies to all work study positions at the college.

    The work study application can be accessed through the Carilion Clinic website here. Look for "Student Temporary." 

    Step 3: Contact department heads for interviews

    It is the responsibility of the student to contact the department for which they would like to work and set up an interview. Please note that an interview is not guaranteed.

    Step 4: Interview and accept a position

    Once the student interviews and is offered a position, then HR can begin processing the appropriate paperwork.

    Step 5: Fill out the appropriate HR paperwork and complete the Employee screening process

    Once you have accepted a position you will need to fill out the HR paperwork and have it processed immediately. This process can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks depending on the time of year and volume of applications.

    Note: Please keep in mind that you cannot begin working until you meet with the HR representative and complete your paperwork

    If you have any questions about the Work Study program at Jefferson College please contact the HR Representative for Work Study, Kathy York, for more information.


    Since I have federal work-study, will I be guaranteed a campus job?

    The Office of Financial Aid does not make job assignments. The student is responsible to find a student worker position. A list of the Departments of Hire is available in the Office of Financial Aid. Students may contact the Department Supervisors as shown on the list and pursue potential job opportunities and request an interview.

    I've been awarded federal work-study; am I required to work on campus? Will I owe more money to the college if I don't work?

    You are not required to work on campus or complete a certain number of work-study hours. If you do work on campus, you will earn a paycheck to compensate you for any hours worked, just as you would any other job. You may use your income toward your educational expenses, at your discretion, including toward miscellaneous expenses.  Students are not required to use their work-study earnings for tuition. The balance you owe to the college is not affected by your employment.

    Are there work-study jobs available off campus?

    Yes, there are limited opportunities for students to work in community service positions at off-campus sites.

    What is the difference between work-study and non-work study jobs?

    Work-study wages are excluded from your income when you file the FAFSA. These earnings are excluded from your income because they are used to help cover educational expenses as they were earned.

    How much will I earn?

    The department that you are working for will determine the number of hours you work per week. Your earnings are based upon the number of hours you work per week. The current pay range is $7.25 to $7.50 per hour.

    How and when will I get paid?

    Work-study students are required to sign in electronically using Kronos (a payroll time management system). Your hours worked must be in the Administrative Assistant's Office each Monday morning by 8:30 a.m. In order for the payroll office to process your time worked and meet the payroll deadline, all hours worked must be submitted in a timely manner. Student payroll checks are available in the administrative office bi-weekly.