To learn more about the faculty and staff of the Nursing Program, click here.
To see the Master of Science in Nursing section in the Jefferson College of Health Sciences Catalog, click here.
The Family Nurse Practitioner Program (FNP) at Jefferson College of Health Sciences is designed to prepare registered nurses to fulfill the role of ethical, knowledgeable, competent, and caring healthcare providers for families in the primary care setting. The focus of the FNP program is to provide the academic knowledge and clinical skills necessary for health promotion, disease prevention, assessment, interprofessional collaboration, and management of common acute and chronic conditions and illnesses. As a proud affiliate of Carillion Clinic, JCHS is fully integrated with one of the largest health systems in Virginia.
- Earn your Master of Science/Family Nurse Practitioner degree in 8 consecutive part-time semesters.
- Progress in a small cohort of students with graduate faculty who can provide more personal service.
- Participate in a learning environment that accommodates online learning and opportunities for face to face learning.
- Participate in clinical experiences at sites arranged in partnership with JCHS faculty.
- Review coursework and presentations at your convenience through online media.
- Enjoy all the benefits of a JCHS graduate student, including participation in interprofessional activities with diverse health care professionals.
- Graduate of a nationally accredited BSN or MSN nursing program with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (based on a 4.0 scale).
- Current unrestricted RN license in the state(s) in which student’s clinical practice will occur.
- College level Statistics course (3 credits) with a grade of C or higher.
- Recommendation forms from three professional references who can address the applicant’s potential for advanced practice nursing. At least one reference should come from a former faculty member if possible.
- A written statement describing career goals and how a graduate credential will assist in meeting those goals. The writing style (i.e. grammar, punctuation, spelling, word use) and content of the essay will be used in the overall evaluation of the application
- Curriculum vitae or resume. This document should include education and professional practice.
- A minimum of 2,000 documented hours of nursing practice to have occurred no longer than three years prior to beginning the FNP clinical courses.
- Official GRE or MAT Scores if no Master’s degree
- The recommended deadline for priority admission is November 30.
- Program consists of 50 total credit hours and 605 clinical hours.
- Non clinical courses are delivered in a primarily on-line format.
- During the course of the program, graduate nursing students will visit the JCHS campus to learn and participate in skills assessments. These academic visits are called On-Campus Intensives (OCI).
- A student will participate in 2-3 OCIs while in the program.
- Precepted clinical experiences will occur at sites arranged in partnership with JCHS faculty.
Principles of Primary Care and Family Health (3)
Quality and Safety in Health Care (3)
Health Systems & Policy (3)
Translation of Evidence (3)
Advanced Pathophysiology (3)
Advanced Pharmacology (3)
Ethical and Legal Issues in Practice (3)
Advanced Health Assessment (2)
Advanced Health Assessment Lab (1)
Diagnostics and Procedures Lab(1)
Primary Care of Adults andGeriatrics I (3)
Practicum I: Primary Care of Adults and Geriatrics (2)
Primary Care of Adults and Geriatrics II (3)
Practicum II: Primary Care of Adults and Geriatrics (2)
Primary Care of Children and Adolescents (3)
Primary Care in Reproductive Health (2)
Practicum III: Primary Care of Children/Adolescents and Women (3)
Integration of Evidence in Advanced Nursing Practice (2)
FNP Preceptorship (4)
Advanced Practice Roles and Leadership (1)
FNP= 605 total clinical hours
Practicum I: Primary Care of Adults and Geriatric: 110hrs
Practicum II: Primary Care of Adults and Geriatrics: 110hrs
Practicum III: Primary Care of Children/Adolescents and Women: 165hrs
FNP Preceptorship: 220 hrs